Reading for Pleasure
Our Vision for Reading for Pleasure
This document was created in collaboration by the children, parents, carers, staff and governors at Middle Park Primary School. This is a shared vision which we are all committed to working towards.
At Middle Park we are passionate about the importance of reading for pleasure.
Reading for pleasure has the power to change lives because it transports children and expands their horizons. Through the sheer enjoyment gained from reading a good book, children will develop their knowledge and understanding of the world and learn more about people and places. It helps them to reflect on and develop qualities such as decision making, choices and consequences; it develops empathy and resilience and supports them to feel the benefit of a long term investment. Reading has a calming influence and helps us to experience the power of being still.
By developing reading for pleasure, we feel that our children will improve their communication skills, develop their imagination and vocabulary and be better prepared to leave us with an all important lifelong love of learning.
The school aims to expand this vision by:
- Developing a programme for parents of SEN children in partnership with the Educational Psychologist, to support parents/carers to maximise reading for pleasure in their lives
- Creating an exceptional library space which inspires children to read widely and often
- Displaying and promoting texts, authors, genres and stories from around the world
- Developing systems to ensure that all members of the school community are active readers, recommending texts and authors and genres and perpetuating a love of reading
- Promoting the joy of reading through book clubs, discussions and enrichment opportunities
- Finding ways to engage all individuals and all groups of children; appealing to all cultures, languages, interests and genders
- Ensuring that all stakeholders understand and share our passion