It is important to show how we use maths skills in our everyday lives and to involve your child in this.
Identifying problems and solving them can also help your child develop maths skills. If you see him or her puzzling over something, talk about the problem and try to work out the solution together.
Don’t shy away from maths if you didn’t like it at school. Try to find new ways to enjoy the subject with your child.
Tips for helping your child to enjoy maths:
- Point out the different shapes to be found around your home.
- Take your child shopping and talk about the quantities of anything you buy.
- Let your child handle money and work out how much things cost.
- Ask younger children to count all the coins in your purse or wallet.
- Look together for numbers on street signs and car registration plates.
- Look at house numbers and talk about odd and even.
- Ask older children to work out the best special offer.
- Look at clocks and tell the time. Talk about timings for cooking.
- Learn how to recall times tables quickly.